WHAS11 in Louisville, Kentucky is looking for a dynamic, passionate News Director to lead the news team in creating multi-platform content that sets the standard for local coverage. The ideal candidate must have solid journalistic judgement, a keen eye for talent, and the ability to maintain a positive, inclusive culture where creativity thrives. This person should also have a passion for evolving local news.
In this role, you will:
- Strategically lead and inspire the news employees.
- Recruit and hire diverse talent in the news department.
- Oversee on-air and digital news content.
- Work closely with the news team to produce relevant, thoughtful, local content that sets the station apart. Prioritize collaboration between television and digital content teams to create original programming and breaking-news coverage for all platforms.
- Foster, encourage and reward innovative thinking.
- Be a strategic thinker, strong communicator, teacher, and collaborator.
- Be a community-minded, journalist with a driving passion to serve audiences and win in the digital world.
- Emphasize the importance of solid research and responsible journalism.
- Skillfully use social media and digital tools to research, discover, and distribute content.
- Maintain an inclusive culture that values different voices.
- Inspire and coach superior, unique and engaging storytelling.
- Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media to enhance stories.
- Collaborate with all department heads in a mutual effort to achieve station goals and extend our brand.
- Perform other duties, as assigned, to drive and fulfill the mission while abiding by the values of this organization.
- Foster an environment of creativity, innovation, teamwork and high ethical standards.
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 10+ years of content experience and 5+ years of leadership experience.
- Solid journalistic judgement and a news philosophy that emphasizes accurate, fair, and compelling content, along with community engagement.
- Understanding of the tenets of professional journalism.
- Skills in producing engaging, content-driven newscasts and digital content.
- Strong social media skills.
- Ability to lead and stay calm in breaking news situations and big events.
- Exceptional organizational skills suited for a fast-paced environment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.