WUSA9, TEGNA’s flagship Washington D.C. station, is looking for a smart, urgent and self-starting Digital Editor to join our growing team. But before you go any further, you should know, we’re not your average digital shop – this isn’t a place where simply writing press releases and posting breaking news to twitter is what marks success. We believe content succeeds in the digital space when it’s approached with intent and sophisticated creativity. The ideal candidate for this role thrives in a fast-paced environment, loves news and working on the cutting edge of digital and social media.
This position will showcase and manage content produced by others in the most engaging way possible. This position also produces original content, including video and interactive-rich digital articles that will reach our customers whenever and wherever they are, on whatever device they are using at the time.
The successful candidate is innovative with strong social media experience combined with solid news judgment through a grasp of analytics. Qualified candidates will have experience posting stories to digital-mobile-social platforms, working knowledge of online CMS software, video and photo-editing skills and the ability to work a flexible schedule. More important, the person we hire will want to do things in a way that make a difference here in DC.
- Write and post stories to WUSA9 Digital-Mobile-Social platforms
- Report news as it happens online (strong breaking news skills) and generate web traffic through application of advanced social media and SEO showcasing skills
- Monitor Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other online news sources and post stories from that information to WUSA digital platforms
- Use social media mining tools (CrowdTangle, TweetDeck, Dataminr) to discover unique content
- Work with all newsroom departments on content coverage, broadcast-digital coordination and social listening
- Coordinate live stream of news events daily online and on social media, with heavy emphasis on urgent news
- Post photos/videos to WUSA9 digital platforms, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, others
- Identify compelling, unique stories and user-generated content of interest to our audience
- Create original video for web and social platforms
- Create enterprise content (stories, videos, photo galleries) for WUSA9 digital platforms first, but with the intent to translate to all platforms.
- At least three to five years’ experience working as a digital journalist
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage requests from various sources with an ability to work well with varied personalities within deadlines
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Outstanding interpersonal, organizational, and time-management skills
- Preferred experience with non-linear editing software
- Understanding of digital-specific skills like SEO and analytics
- Willingness to learn new software and help fellow team members with digital best practices
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.
HOW TO APPLY